View Single Post
Old 05-21-2002, 10:53 PM   #16
Dionae

Dionae is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Dionae
Mm.. I have to agree that you kind of jumped to conclusions about the mob and made certain assumptions.  It was not intended to offend anyone, but if you are offended by it, I suppose it's perfectly in your right to not want to play.  I am also an imm on Feudal Realms, so perhaps I'm a bit biased, but when one sees their game being shown in a not-so-good light on a public forum, you can expect them to be a little upset.

I also agree that you should have mentioned it to one of the imms on the game (I'm pretty sure I was there vis too) before taking it to Top Mud Sites, as the only people that can really do anything about it are the staff members of FR.  But, as you can see, it was taken care of, and was given a hopefully less-offensive description.  Sorry if it still offends you KaVir. *grin*

Again, in all the time that mob has been there, no one else had mentioned anything about it.  Perhaps it does insinuate certain real-life prejudices, but it is just as possible to have a similar race or ethnicity in a fantasy setting.  I don't find anything wrong with the long description 'A dark skinned immigrant speaks in a language you do not understand.' as that pretty much describes the mob without any hints to real-life stereotypes that could be deemed offensive, unless you are offended by being called an immigrant or dark-skinned, which is.. what that mob is.

Perhaps your biggest problem was with the mob's description, which does sort of "poke fun" at the mob's appearance and mannerisms.  But, I'm certain you could dissect just about any mob's description and find something offensive about it, unless the desc is exactly what KaVir described.  And again, it was changed, so that hopefully no one else has this same problem with it.  But, I do think it would have been better to come to the staff of Feudal Realms first, and explain your disappointment before coming here.  We're pretty understanding, but a thread like this would make anyone defensive about their mud, and only causes a big fuss over a relatively small thing.
Dionae is offline   Reply With Quote