View Single Post
Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #3
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

It's a good question and an important question.

I'd argue that it can't really be a one-man job. First of all, it automatically sets you up for a long development process - a few years, as you noted. Keep in mind that after those few years have passed, it remains to be seen whether you'll still have the same enthusiasm for working on the project. And after you've finished primary development, it'll be time to market and promote your game. Will you still have the energy needed to put behind that effort?

I understand wanting to protect your creative endeavor to some degree, but from my own experience I found it was better to bring in other people to work with me on code, building and thematic development. First of all, if you have multiple people working on things, you speed up development. Second, you give yourself a measuring stick for progress and might be encouraged to keep up with each other. Third, you share in the growing enthusiasm of watching the project evolve. And, fourth, when you're ready to open the doors, you've already got a small army of people to greet newbies and help the place look alive.

Don't doom yourself or your project by taking on too much on your own.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote