View Single Post
Old 02-19-2006, 12:05 PM   #19
Soleil

Soleil is on a distinguished road
Ok, here goes another try...

I don't know, I've never played a game with a one-room ship. I would think a whole zone of rooms makes it more realistic in the scheme of things though and lends itself better to a multi-player environment.

I don't believe anything of the sort. I was merely just trying to find games that have similar systems and personally I've never played a sci-fi MUD and really had no clue they had spaceships like our sailing ships. I never meant to assert that they were different, I merely didnt know about them!

Well, again I go back to that it's more realistic to real ships and the multi-player aspect. Ships in Medievia are Clan based and the majority of any ship's crew is made up of members from the clan. Yes other people can board and fight but they must ask permission before doing so. Having many rooms and many jobs for the ships leads to better multi-player battles and the more people, the more chaos and fun!

Ships are maintained by the clan and crew. Decay? No I don't think they do. Crews can repair the ship on board and at dock.

Ships that are too heavily damaged without being repaired sink beneath the seas of Medievia. Anyone onboard loses all the Fae gathered and the clan must buy another ship if they want to replace it. The players die when the ship sinks. When you corpse you end up in Davy Jones' locker. Then you walk to portal and enter portal, and you end up on mainland
resurrected and ready to go.

No, Clans buy ships already made. We are going to code workers in the near future who you will hire to make your ships for you.

I don't know the answer about the guns but I do know we have different types of guns that do different types of damage: Magic Missle, Fireballs, Bolt Throwers, Dartflingers, etc. Each type of gun is better for the hull, rigging, etc.

As for the ramming and physics, I have no clue about that but I know that wind speed matters, how fast the current is going matters, and where in the sea you are matters when it comes to speed and things like that. You would have to speak to Vryce and Ozy about that brainy stuff.

Again, I claim no expertise in ships in other games and/or ships in general. I just know that our players LOVE our ship system and have been very happy with it since it's implementation. Old players have come back to check them out and have decided to play again because of them. Once we get ship trading involved and our CPK islands, the seas of Medievia will never be the same again.

I'm sorry if I didn't answer your questions clearly enough, but I have done the best I can without any real knowledge of the code! I think it's just perhaps the way we implemented the ships into Medievia that has got our playerbase so enthralled with them.
Soleil is offline   Reply With Quote