View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #21
dayrinni

dayrinni is on a distinguished road
Re: Are MUDs still popular?

Most of the content would be easily accessible and solo-based. Then on the side, there would be group content. This would ensure that players can play the game by themselves until they find buddies to go tackle content together.

Another thing, is a clear path of progression for the players. They must be able to look at their characters and see where they are currently at (ie: level 5) and where they want to get too in the near future (ie: level 10 because "triple jump kick" looks OH so cool!).

Yes, being on the game and active is extremely important. I had 20,000 or so logged hours ATS! I would personally greet each new player and would try to get to know them on some level (like what MUD they came from, or if they were new in general, etc). I wanted to build a community and have a good relationship. I wanted the players to like the game and I wanted them to know I would listen to their concerns and try my best to fix it.

Another thing I did, was to make daily posts on our forums describing the changes I did that day on the game. Then I had a Changes Forum where players could post up what they thought about the changes and we could have friendly debates. This worked extremely well. We only ran into problems with the difficulty of modifying ROM to do what we wanted it to do....and I was having major personal issues back then. I will do the same thing here.

I looked at your Background System. That is a really cool idea. It seems very well done and I can definitely see the benefits for doing it that way. Did you end up implementing it for your game? I like character customization (who doesn't? lol) and what you've described is a good take on it.
dayrinni is offline   Reply With Quote