Thread: Why so bitter?
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2003, 03:03 PM   #8
Orion Elder

Orion Elder is on a distinguished road
That's nice. Is it mentioned in your listing here on TMS? What about your MUD's info link? Didn't think so. You are as bad as the rest of them. You lure them in enough to get them in the doors, when more than likely many of the people lured in would bypass you outright.

You POOR babies. Rest your head on momma's shoulder. In case it's not obvious, you have no sympathy from me. YOU decided to make a product on the net. If it's hard work, that's YOUR problem. No one else's. Sorry, but how many of us have run free games. No charges what so ever... even voluntary ones? You expect to make money. We don't. In general, we can't afford to pay for advertising. If you run a pay MUD and can't afford to fork out a little for advertising, you're in the wrong business... that or you have no confidence in your product. So, instead you come out and steal advertising from free MUDs who need it. Right. You deserve SO much pity. Poor you.

Yes. We should go out and pay $60 for the software to run the game, then pay $10 more per month to play it. Yeah. That's reasonable. Please, note the pouring sarcasm. At least in this respect P2P MUDs are better than games like Everquest, as the ability to log into them is free. I also don't define any MUDs as MMORPGs as I doubt any MUD has the type of playerbase that something like Everquest has. But, this is a fairly useless point. Because advertising... well, you're getting that for free off of your TMS ranking. *smirks* Many of these P2P games, from what I've heard, also run on a volunteer staff. So, no cost there, either... if you pay your staff, good for you.

Your example is flawed. We're talking company to client relations, not company to employee relations. Furthermore, to make your example more accurate it should be "I am sure you would not make such tongue-in-cheek statements if the suggestion was that every now and then you decided your boss/employer/clients/etc. didn't have to pay you." Which, btw... I have on occasion overlooked costs owed to me by clients. Next, most places try to downplay the cost as a minimal cost... if the cost is so minimal, you shouldn't worry about whether or not you get paid.
Orion Elder is offline   Reply With Quote