View Single Post
Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 PM   #5
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Re: MCTS - The Mud Client Test Server.

Hmm. Well, yeah, I mean <>. lol Too much time spent using lists in LSL and not enough sleep the night before I posted. (Though why you need to escape both I never got. Its only < that causes the problem.)

But, the spec says nothing about the requirement not existing in "open" mode. Its one of the things that gets just damn vague. And, yeah, it does cause that sort of issue with some things in Mushclient, though there are now ways you can fix it, the most common one being a plugin that captures the input "before" the client's MXP parser ever sees it, which still in packet form, checks the packet for tags, escapes any invalid ones, tosses out the original packet, then feeds the "new" line through the system using something called "Simulate", which basically allows you to feed the client's internals lines that it can't tell apart from what its own TCP/IP system puts together from the mud's packets. But its quite absurd to have to do that. And how hard is it to fix. Like one line in the specification, either:

"Tags that are not valid, which includes text that uses '<>', but was not intended as a tag, such as prompts, will fall through and are displayed as normal text in 'open mode'."

or

"'<' must always be escaped, even in 'open mode', if it is not a tag."

In any case Panthor answered the question anyway. Its up to the people testing to determine if its working the way they "think" its supposed to, using their tests.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote