View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #49
Disillusionist

Disillusionist will become famous soon enough
Re: What Does "Fair" Mean?

Shasarak, you said my actual stance, and I don't begrudge anyone the choice to play or create pfp's. I don't begrudge my beloved muds the right to make money and stay in business.
I begrudge them, under the topic's title, the right to call it fair. I just don't agree the opportunity is 'open' to everyone. Usually the way players discover how innately unfair they are, despite disclaimers, is by surprise.

I can absolutely agree that a pfp model that's fair is if the goal or object is acquirable by an expenditure of time -or- money, -or- some other commodity the game admins find to be of value.
Levels? Sure, why not? So long as there isn't a cap for non-payers. Ubergear? Sure. So long as it can be purchased by RL cash, IC cash, or IC methods available to everyone.
Access to premium areas? I'm torn on this one, unless the area itself provides some innate advantage like larger storage capacities. While I find such perks fair to the admin's goals, and reasonable if more labor is purchased or server space is dedicated, etc. But these things aren't really designed with fairness in mind.

I realize some of my preferences for games are innately unfair.
I prefer games that are 18 and over. Not fair! wail the kids. (True, but it's more peaceful, IMO.)
A number of preferences for gamestyle may be desirable, and a number of those preferences trade off some other desired condition that shelves fairness. Whaddayagonnado?
Disillusionist is offline   Reply With Quote