View Single Post
Old 12-24-2003, 03:53 PM   #26
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Class-based or class-less, I think it's important to remember aptitude.

Sure, in most games I can either pick a class of skills and be stuck with it forever and not be able to do something dramatically different, or I could pick anything I want and not give any thought to whether or not my character -should be capable- of doing these things.

Aptitude is so often overlooked. It's great that a mercenary can cook, and still be a mercenary. But if he's spending all his time improving his babka recipe, he's not spending all that much time doing merc stuff. And something's gotta give. In addition, I would hate to play a game that allows me to be proficient in *everything.*

I like limitations, it's what gives your character..character. Knowing that yeah he's a nasty buff uber blademaster who also happens to be lousy with defense.. or maybe the thief who can't cook at all. I mean, if he could cook, he wouldn't need to steal the food would he? He'd just make his own. And probably a lot better than that stupid bakery anyway.

Or what about the leathercrafter, why would he have -any- aptitude whatsoever in perfuming? I mean..the guy's sitting in a room filled with vats of bat guano for 10 hours a day, there's no way you can convince me he has ANY sense of smell.

Aptitude - that's a great key that's very undervalued and underused in many muds. Let the players decide what their characters are -capable of- and then give them a base set of skills that coincide with their aptitude, and allow those skills branch into more complex things related to the base set over time.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote