View Single Post
Old 12-24-2003, 09:11 PM   #29
Azeroth

Azeroth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Azeroth
I agree with Jherlen on this one. But, one comment was made about skill selection at the beginning being a killer because of not understanding what is needed. I think that is a philosophy often linked with combat oriented muds. While combat is essential to any thriving mud, it isn't always paramount. And good documentation relieves any stresses you might have as to which skills to choose. We have gone with some archtypes on our mud:

Aristocrat
Arcane
Bardic
Combatant
Craftsman
Divine
Laborer
Monk
Rogue

This is just the 1st tier of an almost endless system. *Every* skill in the game is under one or more of these. The thing is, you don't have to limit yourself to any one...you could choose to be any or all of these. But let's say a character was going to grow up as a farmer...he would select the laborer's guild in order to learn the skills of his trade. Let's say as a young adult he decides that farming is not for him and takes a skill he has also practiced all these years, smithing, and tries to become an apprentice for a local smith. Ok so this can easily be done and he doesn't have to worry about that being outside of his class, or waiting until he can multiclass. There are also people in our world who can train you to be a "grand master" of maybe a weapon, or perhaps you can learn spells from books you find. These are additional ways to strengthen RP in a way that also gives the character something related to occupation. I just think this blows the doors off any class system I have ever heard of.

Az
Azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote