View Single Post
Old 12-24-2003, 10:05 PM   #30
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
I think that's the whole point Jherlen, not every mercenary is going to be a massively strong fighter who can tear your throat out three ways, stab you five times, and parry a hail of arrows while doing it. I greatly admire people who can take a class that is not meant to do something and they do it with that class, because not every character should be the same. If every mercenary in a certain guild was all warriors, how boring would that be? Someone playing a merchant or undercover spy adds to the whole realistic side of the mud. Especially if you look at the real life side of it, not every person in the army can do 200 push-ups, 300 sit-ups and still be able to climb up a 30 foot tall rope, not everyone has that ability, nor does everyone have the personality for it, so some people in the army are not classed as warriors, they might be great thinkers and philosphers, so they are more of a mercantile class that has no choice but to join the army under a scrutinizing father who was a high ranking officer..

Anyway my point is that customizing your skills leaves you with no starting point, it leaves you kind of laying there with a set of skills you probably will use because you already set out what you want to do with that character instead of playing the character and reacting accordingly to what happens in character and then using your hard-coded skills if you need to. I bet if you can pick backstab - and you really want a strong character you will pick backstab, parry, kick, bash, - and so on, classes leave balance because it leaves your charater with more then just a set of skills, it leaves them with a small persona of their own, a warrior class will compensate for a small percentage of people who have the ability to fight well, whether it's innate or not only your roleplaying can tell, the same goes for all other classes on a good roleplaying mud, if you look at it the right way.
Delerak is offline   Reply With Quote