View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 02:33 AM   #32
Azeroth

Azeroth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Azeroth
While it is true that you could spend quite a bit of time learning one particular skillset, and then never use it in your occupational career...I think it still defines you.  I started in sales when I was 21, did it for quite some time...but when I moved to a different state was unable to find a job in sales.  So I managed a Pizza Hut.  Then I worked at a prison.  But as soon as a sales position opened up I forsook the prison job and quickly took the sales position.

My point is this: I suppose "your skills define your occupation" is not necessarily valid...touche.  *But*, to say that they don't to some degree define you is wrong.  To limit a character's possibilities by offering him/her a "tree" or "multiclassing chart" or whatever...is fundamentally flawed.  No matter how much multiclassing someone does, he/she is still bound by the limitations of that class/multiclass.  

Overall I suppose a good argument could be made for either side.  What I find is that when one tries to "improve" upon a class based system, the end up changing it and improving it with elements of a classless system.  So why not just go classless and call it good?
Azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote