View Single Post
Old 12-23-2003, 01:41 PM   #21
Azeroth

Azeroth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Azeroth
I think when you begin to talk about class vs. classless you start breaking open the box of stereotypes... Why does it either have to be PvP or RP? Why can't it be both? In real life we are PvP every day, whether it be competitive sports, rivalry among employees, or nation vs. nation. So here is the thing...if you want to keep it simple and focus on the inner workings of your combat system, spell system, etc. so you can truly enhance PK...then go with classes. It keeps it simple and allows you to quickly balance things so you can put your focus on constantly updating and improving skill selection and so forth.

I personally prefer classless because I am geared more towards RP. It isn't realistic to have a defined class because each character should have the option to choose their own destiny. Like it was already stated by KaVir, their skills should define their occupation, not the other way around. On our mud we have gone completely leveless and classless (classes are gone from the player perspective, though not from the code). Every new character starts with a generic "class", with a set of skills that is common to anyone. Then from there they can decide what path to take. Do they wish to be a farmer? How about an aristocrat? Maybe a craftsman? Whatever they choose they will have skills available to them that reflect that path. Of course they can diversify and gain more skills, but if the focus leans towards one group and away from others...their less-used skills can atrophy.

So, indirectly, they have chose their *own* destiny simply by what skills they focused on. A character advances through skill usage, as there is no experience to be had. The other way they advance is through RP. But, as in RL, there is plenty of PvP and even City vs. City, Nation vs Nation, etc. So I think you can have your cake and eat it to, it's all in what you are going for.

Az
Azeroth is offline   Reply With Quote