View Single Post
Old 10-25-2004, 04:13 AM   #7
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
And as far as not specifying codebase is concerned, you were absolutely correct - as stated in the FAQ for this forum, "An appropriate thread should almost never be codebase-specific, and it should not be easily answered - a mud "concept" is very rarely "right" or "wrong", but instead has as many answers as there are posters".

Personally I think I would tend to favour blood sports, as they'd be more in keeping with a bloodthirsty theme and would allow me to build upon the main strength of the mud (combat). Perhaps some sort of gladiator arena where players can fight against each other, or pit themselves against animals, convicts, and that sort of thing. I previously created a small codebase based on that concept, so I may well end up having something similar within my mud. I'd also be interested in contests of skills, such as archery matches and the like (either against targets or living creatures).

For a less combat-intensive mud, you'd probably want to focus on something else - but I'd be wary about building something completely separate from the main infrastructure unless it was intended to be the main focus of the mud.

But either way, you might want to consider avoiding "rooms" and instead use some sort of coordinate-based system (even if just for the playing pitch itself).
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote