View Single Post
Old 06-09-2003, 04:34 PM   #184

I know it was at least $1000.  And you are ignoring the trivial act of sending a DMCA request.  But no I was going for a different point with that analogy, while yours with the "mafia" goes in the opposite direction, towards characterizing the Diku group as fearful or helpless.  My point is the Diku group is neither helpless nor poor nor fearful, and I've seen no evidence to sustain that rather outdated impression.  I'd characterize them as apathetic about their property currently.  And apparently more tolerant than the Tolkien group that actually does go after commercial violators while ignoring non-commercial violators.

I think it's fair to raise other questions.

Does their (the Diku group) failure or unwillingness to enforce their license hurt the rest of us releasing software under license?  

Does it not establish the precedent or raise the perception that IP violators in the mud community can get away with it, emboldening them to violate our own licenses?

My thoughts are yes it does, as it leaves the same thugs out there "on the street" so to speak.  So screw the Diku group as they obviously neither want nor care for the help offered in defending their IP.