View Single Post
Old 09-21-2009, 08:14 AM   #17
misao

misao is on a distinguished road
Re: What types of games are impacted the most by permadeath?

I think permadeath affects a certain type of -player- more than a certain type of game.

With that said, I don't play any hack-and-slash MUDs, but if any of them require the sheer number of hours that being top-tier in WoW does, I'm betting it would affect them the most.

If I was offered the choice between permadeath in WoW and permadeath for a character that I played in a pure RP MUD for over a year previously, I would choose the pure RP char. No hesitation.

But that's probably because I have about 300+ DAYS played on my WoW character (with minimal afk).

That's not to say that permadeath wouldn't have affected my pure RP character. It had a rich history and storyline that took a year to develop; there was immense character development and building of relationships. To start again would be, ick. Fortunately, that particular game didn't have permadeath/PK.

I would honestly prefer that TI (the MUD that I am playing currently) didn't have permadeath. But I suppose I can understand how it helps make the game more realistic.
misao is offline   Reply With Quote