View Single Post
Old 01-09-2006, 02:46 PM   #284
Zhiroc

Zhiroc is on a distinguished road
I'll try to keep this short...

1) Let's say I start a MUD that I advertise as free-to-play, but also say that "people who subscribe at $15/month get 10x the XP and loot rewards". Is this still F2P? I'd say no, but if others think yes, then we might as well stop arguing about IRE because we have radically different mindsets on the concept of free. (And I'm not trying to say which is correct, which would be pointless discussion.)

2) Cany anyone point me to an IRE web page, help file, or official resource that documents how many lessons it takes to learn a skill. This is my major sticking point. Without it, a player can't just figure it out themselves.

They have to actually play the game, and even then, since the scale is non-linear (you'd have to trans one skill to tell, but see below), and since the game doesn't keep track of it neatly and nicely (you can't tell *ever* how many lessons you've spent without keeping track yourself, and you can't even tell how many lessons it will take to get to the next level (without a lot of hassle and calculation).

3) The major source of credits available to a player without spending money is the in-game credit market. There are 309 on sale right now (337 yesterday, if I remember). Is there enough of a market to support having multiple players doing this?

An interesting test would be to have 5 players start and try to play the game "for free" by trying to amass gold and buy credits, and watch the effect on the credit market. I'm somewhat reticent on trying this however, because I think it would really screw up the market for long time players, and I personally don't have the time to do the grind.
Zhiroc is offline   Reply With Quote