View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
RP Kris

RP Kris is on a distinguished road
Playing MU* from Work

It is guilty confession time. Over the many years I've played MUDs there are times in which I have played from work. Honestly, one of the things that has kept me playing MUDs is the fact that I can do so from just about anywhere as long as I had an internet connection. I didn't have to have special software or consoles.

With my leet skills , I would like to think that I was still able to do my job well and do so. Depending on my position and how much time I was spending on a MUD that is likely very debatable. I recognize that. I understand that many of you think it is just wrong to do so. It also isn't really "right" to web surf, log on to Facebook, post on forums, send personal e-mails or do many of the other personal things people do at work. But twenty wrongs don't make a right do they?

I would never encourage others to MUD from work. The fact is though that some of us do. In some cases it is one of the only things that have kept me engaged or sane in the drudgery of particular jobs. Perhaps you are there too.

There are a couple of things that I have done in the past to make playing more "secret".

- A mud client will fit very handily on a thumb drive. No software required on the machine.

- I change my color settings for the client extensively. All black text on a white background.

- AL Client - I prefer other clients at home, but AL Client has a boss key that minimizes the program. The icon changes to a piece of paper and you can set what text is displayed after.

These solutions don't really change the fact that all the information is being transmitted across a work network that can be policed by administrators. I have always wondered....

How does MUD traffic LOOK to those administering a server?

Is it better to use a imbeded Java mud client like found at TMC or connect to a port with a MUD client?

What do other people do (or would you do if you played from work)?

I've thought of some solutions that would get me off of the work grid, but I haven't thought of anything that wouldn't be visibly odd to coworkers or wandering computer techs.
RP Kris is offline   Reply With Quote