View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 04:53 AM   #83
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Re: Join Dragonrealms today!

Precisely, what we're seeing is a perfect example of the Dilbert "" fallacy. Sadly such a view is not that uncommon, but it does make it difficult to have a useful discussion about the actual merits of a particular system.

I do actually like the underlying concept (although not the abstraction). However it's interesting you should mention your dislike, because I've been wondering why it is that more muds don't implement something similar. An engagement system would be pretty quick and easy to add, so it's certainly not about complexity.

I wondered if it might be historical - most muds with balance-based combat draw their inspiration directly or indirectly from Avalon, and it's not uncommon for people to without really considering the alternatives. But it could also be that people who like it are already playing DragonRealms, while those who don't are playing elsewhere.

There's quite a lot of variation out there, and it's certainly interesting to compare the pros and cons of different approaches, as well as the impact of their subsystems. That reminds me actually, I keep meaning to have a look at how different muds implement fighting formations.

Catering to both extremes can be difficult to balance, as . But it's definitely a good goal.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote