View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #90
Juason

Home MUD: Dragonrealms
Juason is on a distinguished road
Re: Join Dragonrealms today!

>>For example, I think it's absolutely stupid to proclaim, "There's nowhere convenient and close by for high level characters to go kill high reward mobs.

>>The mud administration is stupid for

Let's not get confused here. DR has hundreds of hunting areas close to the starter cities. The problem is these areas did not get updated as quickly as the "new" areas (which also happen to be further away) to contain high level content. In 2009 the experience model changed, resulting in players advancing to the higher levels quicker - and the hunting options did not change quickly enough to accommodate this.

Even worse - Combat prevented higher level hunting mobs from working correctly, which scared people off from developing them.

Before 3.0, the combat system broke down past circle 150 due to integer overflows (remember, this was designed back in 1996... and the highest circle was 30, now it is 200). Now with 3.0 everything scales above and beyond circle 200 just fine and we've been focusing on updating these areas.

So whatever bad decisions made in the past are being remedied. Then again, I doubt anyone starting off in DR today would even run into this problem in the next few years! No, you'd actually have more hunting options than probably makes sense

>> Engagement

Back in the 90s, a good engagement system was damn hard to write. Memory and CPU speeds being what they were... I'm always amazed at what was done with so little 15 years ago!
Juason is offline   Reply With Quote