Thread: SEX!
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2006, 08:03 PM   #41
Traveler

Traveler is on a distinguished road
Your opinion might change if you were ever the victim of sexual abuse. To excuse an internet pervert or any molesters actions because of lack of parenting is down right disgusting. Small comfort to the child giving the offender a get out free card by saying 'hey kid your parents should have known better'.

Generalizing is nearly as bad as bigotry itself because it can be a breeding ground for bigotry. I have no love for religious fundamentalist of any kind. I have no love for liberal reactionaries either. Being cavalier by using terms like scumball or redneck is pointless posturing and chest thumping.

Once again because other bad things happen it does not make the perpetuation of other bad things okay. The constant argument is that we can't be held responsible because bad things MIGHT happen. Bad things DO happen. Walk your fingers over to google and search a few statistics and check the sex offender registry while you're at it.

Movies have rating systems, video games have ratings systems, TV channels can be changed by parents in the room, and most modern TV's can have channels blocked as well. MUDs rarely come with such labeling. Even if parents have a content blocker on their PC it won't block many MUDs either unless they know to directly block a specific MUD. I know I turned mine on and was still able to access most of the sites I have accounts on.

MUDs and console games/movies/TV aren't comparable anyway because games/movies/TV don't have a live person on the other end actively seeking to cyber with someone. You'll probably never find an enforced labeling system on MUDs , especially commercial ones, because that could cut into their profit margins.

Defending sexual predation is to use Matt's words the action of a 'scumball'. Sexual predators don't seek just kids either.

Anyway. As stated way back before the recent activity in this thread I'm not opposed to MUDsex happening. I don't like it because IMO when people get into a MUDsex relationship they throw their RP out the window. Its a nasty hornets nest. If such a relationship SHOULD be taboo in an RP enforced/encouraged MUD the moment it is questioned the RL freedom brigade comes out and the personal smear campaign begins. I've witnessed firsthand attacks via forum, IM, IRC, and in game against PLAYERS not characters because their character dare questions another’s sexual antics with the enemy of their race, faction, city, guild, nation, etc. The same players who are one moment touting the virtues of a virtual world are the next proclaiming it to be either just a game or applying RL mores.

Maybe I'm a bit jaded but I've had it happen to me personally and I've seen it done to other players on multiple occasions. I've had some excellent intimate RP myself (with people I've assured myself are adults) and have no issue with private liaisons so long as both persons are consenting adults. It is the people who go in for their cyber kicks irregardless of storyline that annoy me and there always seems to be a few of them around. If you are going to make getting your jollies a public issue in an RP encouraged/enforced game be prepared for the consequences. If you make it public then it affects everyone else’s RP too so accept it and forego the character assassination of the player.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote