View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 05:33 PM   #4
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
I agree with you Matt.  The game industry proper (ie, graphical games) is rather bereft of quality because of their emphasis on graphics over creative gameplay.  They're more interested in graphics yet ignore non-graphical games like MUDs (which quite accurately are still games) which provide far more quality, creativity, and depth to them.

Sadly, the limitations of the gaming industry are tied to and always will be tied to their emphasis on graphics.  Graphics require less creative thought and design than making thoughful, interestingly unique games, but they take up a lot of time and money creating those graphics.  But graphics are just graphics, and there's a lot more to a great game than that. If they spent only a fraction of that time and money on designing a decent game with blocky graphics or just plain text (like MUDs), they'd have something.

Maybe that's why the games (besides MUDs) that I play are all games which came out years (or even decades) ago.  They were creative and interesting then and they still are.  But Rome: Total War, which I received for Christmas, went back to the store within a week and I didn't even bother with looking at Halo 2.  Great graphics, but nothing else innovative enough to make me choose that over anything I've been playing for years already.

Take care,

Jason
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote