View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #1
RP Kris

RP Kris is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb RP Enforced or RP Mandatory MUDS

I've played MUDs for years for one reason - role playing. To me if there isn't enforced roleplaying on a MUD I would better serve my time playing a graphical console, computer, or online RPG game. My grave frustration over the years has been the sheer number of MUDs that claim they are "RP Enforced" or "RP Mandatory" that do not have enforced environments. For example, here on TMS 346 games are listed as RP Mandatory and I can guarantee that the vast majority of those games are misclassified from personal experience. Actually, I think I need to clarify.

A game administrator can create rules that state all characters must RP. They can in their heart of hearts want a game that people stay in character, but if that rule is not ENFORCED by the game administration and the player base itself then "RP Mandatory" means nothing. It tells me nothing. I don't care about the rules or what a creator wants a game to be, as much as I care about what a game actually is.

In all my years of MUDing I have never found an accurate list of MUDs that have an RP enforced environment. Maybe I am asking for something that the vast majority of Mudders don't care about, but I know there are more people out there like me. There are certain features that I prefer on games, but even if a game was created with all the other features I desire if it doesn't have a rich RP environment I wouldn't play it.

There have been many times over the years that I have almost given up on MUDs completely because it has been too time intensive to try to muck through all the "RP Enforced" and "RP Mandatory" claims to find games that the vast majority of the player base are devoted to staying in character.

So I guess my question is this... Does anyone else see the need I do in the MUD community to identify games that have RP rich environments?

Last edited by RP Kris : 03-15-2008 at 11:48 AM.
RP Kris is offline   Reply With Quote