Thread: Top 20 muds
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2004, 11:17 AM   #93
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Personally I'd rather see more categories of "pay-to-play" in the listings.  Or perhaps we could request an additional category called "pay-for-perks"?

Failing that, your definition is probably about as fair as you can get IMO.

But if they charge you $10 for the seat and $5 for the 3D glasses (assuming it's a 3D movie) you're not going to be able to enjoy the movie as much if you don't pay.  If I was going to a cinema like that, I would rather that the "Top Cinema Sites" website informed me before I spent all that time travelling there and queuing up to get in.

Of course your analogy also fails to address the point that most people assume they'll have to pay to enter the cinema, while the reverse is typically true of muds (particularly when there's a "pay" option in the listing and it hasn't been checked). It's also a rather poor analogy because watching movies isn't a competitive hobby.

Perhaps a better comparison would be paintball. I enjoy playing paintball from time to time, but what I particularly dislike is when a handful of people turn up who have spent a small fortune on top-of-the-range gear, while I'm stuck with a standard gun that can't even shoot straight and has half their range.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote