View Single Post
Old 04-13-2003, 10:53 PM   #1
karlan

karlan is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Should the resposibility for "sanity" of an area be solely placed on a builder.

Some things definately should, For example: Exits should make sense, and except for VERY special occasions, if a player goes n, s it is reasonable to expect to end up in the same place, and there are other situations where it probably be trapped in code, ie: if an exit can have a type specified in flags (CLIMB, SWIM, CRAWL, FLY) is it reasonable to expect builders to exercise some judgment and not make it both? (this could be due to inexperienced coders who only add extra exit flags rather than an extra value, or just because it is a pain to add an extra value to a data structure and then have to translate any world files to contain this)

NOTE: this is a purely hypothetical(sp?) situation brought up in a discussion with a friend of mine, he wants to make some code idiot proof, while I agree in most situations, I also code all day at work so I am not going to go out of my way babysitting builders, who I feel shouldn't have been made a builder/admin unless you have some faith in their sense/judgement, plus I can easily think of better things to spend my time implementing.

Comments/Thoughts/Suggestions?
karlan is offline   Reply With Quote