Thread: The Jerk
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2005, 08:22 PM   #11
GuruPlayer

GuruPlayer is on a distinguished road
Esterra & Threshhold come from MUDs where the guilds are player-run, so if you want to advance in the guild, you have to play "nice" to the PCs that control the MUD.  On Threshhold, the fighter guild members have to "salute" the high level Guild members as soon as you log in, for example, and IRE MUDs have extensive requirements for guild advancement such as writing essays that have to be submitted to the guild leaders. In those types of MUDs being a "jerk" all the time can be a distinct disadvantage if you need the other player's assistance to advance or join, be it a guild, clan, or order.

If you are a player in heavy RP MUDs like Shadows of Isildur,  who require you to play your alignment, for example, you may end up in a orc (if you're of the dark races) run organization (also PC-controlled), where the chain of command is "the biggest, toughest SOB runs it" so jerkdom, per se, may be required to advance.  This is slightly different as this MUD is classless, and has permadeath, so unless you are ready to challenge the head jerk, & live or die with the results, you shut your mouth & take it.

I prefer MUDs that are RP required PK, so you need to roleplay before you PK. Now then I may be thought of as a jerk by those who are my enemies either racially, or due to alignment, but I'm smart enough to be friendly to my allies, because just like in real life, sometimes you need some friends to help you out.  Who is going to retrieve your corpse, or bring you back to life if you are a jerk to everyone.  The PC who is constantly a jerk, is usually found on pure PK MUDs, where you have no friends, just potential kills/trophies.

Even chaotic evil types may need a cleric that is friendly, or a warrior to tank for him. Now complete jerks can survive, but it is tough.

Do I care if the other PCs think I am a OOC jerk, to be honest, I don't care.  Unlike some players, I generally turn off OOC channels, I'm there to play, not discuss who saw the latest "Batman" movie.  I can't stand playing a RP mud, & constantly getting "tells" from across the world asking me if I want to group (This happens a lot on Carrion Fields).  I know you get better exp if you group, but that is ooc stuff. There is no such thing as telepathy (i.e. "tells") unless you're psionic, so unless they are in the same room, I toggle "deaf" so I don't have to deal with it.  If a PC wants me to group, let him come to me face to face, & ask in character.
GuruPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote