View Single Post
Old 08-10-2002, 08:58 AM   #13
Boggis

Boggis is on a distinguished road
For me it depends on what type of mud you're playing. If, as in Mason's case, it's a limited PK mud then I don't think there is any need for rape scenes to occur. If you're playing a RPI mud then the possibility that it can occur should not be outlawed in my opinion. I'd agree with Brody that permitting murder, torture, etc. while banning rape is a bit hypocritical in a mud that is striving to depict a gritty, realistic world. It happens in RL and in the minds of almost everybody it's disgusting. Similarly, torture happens in RL and again just about everybody thinks it's horrible.

I'd agree with Brody again that any graphic actions carried out by players should only occur with the consent of all the players involved. If the mud is a RPI and all players are ok with the RP about to be carried out then let them do it. However, rape is a crime that occurs more in our society than torture so special consideration should be given to all parties involved before RPing out such a scene as the possibility that it might stike too close to home is increased.

In the mud I play on we have the consent rule which I've detailed below. I think it sums up my position pretty well: If its RPI, realistic and the pbase is by and large a responsible one then let the players RP how they want within strict guidelines for certain graphic events. If the above are present the actual incidence of such events will be extremely low in my experience.

There are few restrictions on roleplay in *****. If you choose to roleplay adult situations, that is fine. However, before instigating such an act with another player, please OOC to make sure that the role play is consented to. If someone is instigating roleplay that makes you uncomfortable, please OOC that they should stop. If they continue despite being told to stop, please wish up. This rule is not meant to
be abused in order to allow characters to escape death/torture/etcetera. Perhaps a good analogy is the movie ratings system: some people may wish to see the details acted out in a way which would deserve an R rating while another, younger player might prefer that the details be communicated in an OOC fashion and left offstage.

Specifically in the case of roleplaying through a rape, the instigator takes on added responsibility. In this case, the instigator absolutely must OOC'ly ask for and must obtain explicit consent from the victim's player prior to involving their character in any emote specifically indicative of the act of rape, no matter how non-graphical you believe it to be.

If you act out a graphic sequence without first obtaining the other player's consent, and the player then complains within a reasonable amount of time (so that the runlogs can be checked and the complaint verified), you will be banned. In such cases, therefore, please use common sense and have respect for other people's sensibilities.
Boggis is offline   Reply With Quote