Thread: pk forum again
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2003, 09:20 PM   #8
visko

visko is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to visko Send a message via AIM to visko
****ing matches are one thing, and although I enjoy watching them, this is not PK. Just as I, a vehement pk-oriented player, took years to decide that RP-based MUDs and MUDders weren't a bunch of panzy chat-room teeny-boppers, all pkers aren't just a bunch of hack 'n slash beat-em-up cyber-jocks, if you will.

The idea of a pk forum is to have a place where administrators can concentrate on ideas for new combat systems, add-ins, innovations, and be able to ask/answer questions regarding how to implement these innovations with as little stress on the existing pbase as possible, how to balance them, ways to monitor new add-ins that aren't too intrusive to the players, etc.

Yes, all of this seems intuitive from the standpoint of an experienced coder, but the fact is we're not creating nifty chat rooms; we're creating MUDs. And just because combat systems seem boring to a lot of the most outspoken people who frequent this forum doesn't mean they aren't deeply interesting to people like myself, who probably do at least browse this site occasionally. I want a forum where I can post ideas regarding combat in general and have them be shot down constantly. Who knows; maybe someone will take interest in an idea I had, and turn it into something truly fantastic.

The point is, too many forums are obviously a bad thing. In the same manner, forums that are condusive to stupidity (where it isn't wanted) and lots of foul language/bad intentions are a Very Bad Thing. Solution? Make the forum, assign an administrator who volunteers for the position, and give it a trial period. If it looks like it gets a lot of foot traffic and the administrator seems to have things under control, leave it. If not, remove it, and there will be no more threads regarding it.

-Visko
visko is offline   Reply With Quote