View Single Post
Old 01-02-2005, 02:12 PM   #65
Kaleisha

Kaleisha is on a distinguished road
Well there is fear of dying as there are penalties for death. Also no one ever likes the blow to their ride when they die, So it's hardly like players in non permadeath muds are lining up to jump of cliffs for the fun of it. With the knowledge that you will not lose your character permanently comes the freedom to develop it fully, why would you give something 100% if you don't even know you are going to have it tomorrow?. I've spoken to many people who have said they held back from really putting everything into a character in a permadeath situation because of that very factor.

The few 'RPI' muds that I have tried were possibly terrible examles of the genre, but they sure did put me off. Mud number one I found myself as a newbie with no channels whatsoever to ask for help on. No way to even send a tell to anyone as you had to know the people first and have some kind of earring. I found my way yo a bar where green-eyed elf was talking to almond-eyed human about the baseball game they watched last night on TV. I mustered up an ic 'excuse me gentlemen but I am new in town and feeling a little lost' and was killed.. I can only assume it was for daring to interrupt their chatter?. RPI #2 had more players, but everyone just skipped around using 'introduce <target>' I felt silly using a coded method to get to know people. when I attempted to actually roleplay an introduction I was met with strannge reactions and someone said to me 'ooc u can just do introduce elf. that will tell u my name'

I'm just getting kind of fed up with this eliteist snobbery that seems to be an underlying trend. RPI muds are the only way to provide a rich and intensive roleplaying experience???. I don't think the coding of a mud has anything at all to do with the rp experience. You can get stunningly realistic roleplay in a diku mud! It's the players that make the game.

I think the term RPI to describe thaat kind of mud is misleading, it almost suggests that anything that does not fit the RPI 'reqs' perfectly is hack 'n'slash. And by the way some of you talk it sounds like you believe that too. I think that these days with many more muds coming out with original code bases that cross the boundries between the little pigeon holes we used to jam things into that perhaps the whole way we look at and label muds needs to be reassed.

You can have intensive roleplay in a non RPI, and as I have experienced, you can have damned lousy roleply in an RPI
Kaleisha is offline   Reply With Quote