View Single Post
Old 01-30-2004, 03:51 PM   #2
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
First, welcome to the forum, I noticed this is your first post. Next, a gentle scolding: You posted in the "Builder's Forum," which is supposed to be designated for builders to discuss building issues, not owners to discuss mud development issues.

I'm guessing (though I could be wrong) that this means you don't realize a builder isn't the person who actually starts up the creation process of the mud. If this is the case, I would urge you to learn the different terms used before trying to start one of your own.

Then, outline what kind of mud you want. A diku? A pure C-language? Some kind of SMAUG derivitive? Once again, if you don't know what these things are, you -really- need to learn the terms before you even start thinking about creating your own.

Will it be a roleplaying game primarily, or more of a hack-n-slash? Do you want classes and skillsets, or do you want something different? Different code bases specialize in different things, though many of them can be tailored by the coder to suit the needs of the mud owner.

Do you want to do all the coding yourself, or do you just want to write up the general theme and idea of the game and have someone else do the mechanical work?

I wish I could offer you more helpful information, but without any from your end there's no way anyone can really suggest things you should do. We don't know what you've already done, or know how to do, or know what you're looking for.

In the meantime, there are dozens of posts here (look for pretty much anything by Brody, KaVir (especially regarding Godwars), Ntanel, and yeesh - a few others as well for tons of info on existing codebases and alternatives to using existing codebases. Check the coder's folder, the mud admin folder, and those should give you enough data to pour over for awhile.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote