View Single Post
Old 10-01-2007, 03:49 AM   #14
Kleothera

Kleothera is on a distinguished road
Re: To Chat Or To Splat

Well, I come back from the experience of an Imp on my game who has risen through the ranks and (unlike a lot of immortals) have actually stuck to the same game for almost 10 years. The going hasn't been exactly easy and we had periods of complete nastiness as well. I do not have a solution to the answers, but there are some words of advice from someone who has gone through this before.

1. As was said earlier by one of the posters, do not expect automatic respect. We had a VERY good immortal leave the staff recently. He was committed, hard working etc. He was actually RIGHT most of the times that he took up an issue. However, what he forgot to do was that you need to not only be firm and fair, but also seen as being a. above the general struggles of the populace (what % of the playerbase know your alts?), b. explain the rules and be polite even if you want to kill the bugger who has broken he self same rule 10X previously. While its important to remain in control (especially if you are a junior imm with a well known mortal alt; familiarity breeds contempt), starting with a polite and friendly explanation of the effect of the actions of a player (as compared to saying person X broke rule Y) yields better results then cracking the whip. Also, if there are certain people that get a kick out of picking on you (or it looks that way to you), get someone else to discipline them (this can be another imm, but peer pressure works as well). I simply cannot believe that there are NO players in this game who aren't respected and don't oppose this crap. Understand the larger political picture of the mud and find your allies.

2. Yes, its important to make sure that the Senior Imm supports you in your actions to bring some sense to the chaos. However,admin are also people and have RL commitments and are often reluctant to rock the boat. For most of my DE career I have played in the graveyard shift where there are no senior staff to brainstorm with. I have, however, worked out some key principles for how to get reluctant senior staff to listen.
a. Chose your battles. Start with the smaller things and change the aspects of the game that you CAN change first. If the players see that your minor changes result in a better climate, they listen to you. These may not be the most burning key issues, but you need the support of the playerbase first?
b. Win Friends and Influence People. Identify people within the playerbase who think like you and would support you when and if there is conflict between players and if it comes to it, with the imps. However, when you do so, make sure that they are supporting the cause you represent, and not YOU. There is a thin dividing line between indiscipline and mobilising committed players. The imp may not be bothered to listen to lowly you, but WOULD listen if a significant section of the playerbase does. Make allies within the wizlist, however, ALSO on the basis of the issue and not give the impression you are undermining the leaders.
At the same time, demonstrate that there can be an alternative. Build a clan or guild that functions effectively and which is loyal to you (I mean your principles). Show to the hecklers that an alternative way of doing things is possible and reward them for good behaviour (even a thanks, friend IS a reward; it doesnt have to be about giving out something)
Make friends with the imps (a rule I obviously never followed, but seen applied in others). If you are a friend, the imp trusts you. This means talking about stuff totally unrelated to the game and not being the person who only brings up "issues". You may be perceived to be naggings.
c. Have a written system first before you talk to the imps. Also do your homework anticipating all the questions that someone may ask. If you want to change something that thats already in, dont just say so and so is wrong, have an alternative worked out and well researched plan ready BEFORE you talk to the game owner. It would help that the owner thinks its his idea to do it in the first case; but its not essential.
d. Do not give up, if the imp shoots an idea down the first time, do not give up. Rework it, rewrite it. Keep bringing it up until the imp finally gives in and implements it. Address the concerns he or she voices, incorporate his feedback (even if its only cosmetic modifications) so that the owner feels involved in it.
e. Do not quit. If you are committed to the game, remaining on the wizlist would make you an influence for good. If you quit, THEY win. Eventually you would rise through the ranks and would not be a lowly imm, but an imp and THEN you can try to get all the things you have wanted to do and could not.

Thats what I did anyway.
Kleothera is offline   Reply With Quote