View Single Post
Old 10-23-2004, 12:25 PM   #6
Brody
Legend

Home MUD: OtherSpace
Brody will become famous soon enoughBrody will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to Brody
Smile

Well, since it's a science fiction environment, consider the idea of no-grav polo. On my platform, I'd more than likely establish a set of rules for the game, the physics behind them (within reason/playability), and a set of skills applicable to the game using our FUDGE-based system. I might have a coder set up a widget that has a command like +poloroll to automatically compute one player's roll, using a referee-assigned modifier based on the situation.

For example, let's say Player A is trying to knock the ball through Player B's hoop. The ref watching notes that Player A is trying a particularly difficult maneuver, so he assigns a modifier (call it -2) to account for the difficulty. Player A uses +poloroll at -2. Player B uses +poloroll at 0. The higher of the two rolls wins. A tie would favor the defender.

But my platform is more RP-focused, so we do a lot more with referees. You might want to have something more automated that works without referees, in which case you would probably need to have a system that determines where a player is in relation to the enemy's goal/hoop, in relation to other players and in relation to their own goal/hoop. It can get as intricate and involved as your coders can tolerate.
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote