View Single Post
Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 AM   #104
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

No I've been keeping up with this thread, his post was in reply to Prof who believes that the RPI term is applied because the "original" rpi muds came up with it, so that's what dictates an RPI. I honestly don't care about that point of view, what an RPI is, essentially what anything is, is in relation to what the person reading or thinking about it wants it to be. The only problem here is, we have the people who play the muds with these set of extreme features, and I use extreme because they are extreme compared to other muds.

Your analogy about world of warcraft is absolutely ridiculous, the fact that they require accounts has nothing to do with the fact that normal MUDs do not. This deters from the norm of muds, hence the word "Extreme" or intense. It's the reason the adjective was chosen originally, because everything about "RPI" muds are to more an extreme and intensive.

You know very well that having global ooc channels won't deter any players from using any other instant messenger, the ooc channels do one thing and one thing only for an RP mud they detract from staying in-character and from the roleplay in general. In the middle of a play do you think the actors stop to take a break and talk about the final four basketball games or should we allow players to chat it up in the middle of an intense roleplaying session? I think not. You breed your players but what features you take and give to them. RPI muds take this feature for many different reasons, and to say that it doesn't detract from roleplay is quite ignorant on your behalf.

Either way, no matter how many analogies any of us use, neither side will understand the other. Because we're obviously from different stock. The fact remains that the acronym RPI was coined by a certain type of mud, and the fact remains that other muds that think they have "great roleplaying" want to use the term, and it ****es us off.

Well it ****es me off, I can't speak for the rest of the RPI mudding community.