Thread: Your first MUD?
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2009, 07:24 AM   #10
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Re: Your first MUD?

I don't recall the name of the first one I ever played way back in January 1997. I only recall that there was no color, it was a level-based H&S and that it had "lurker" as part of the telnet address. I played it only once that first weekend for about a half hour and never again.

I would toy with the idea of playing a MUD again, and frequently looked over information on various games without actually creating a character and playing them, for the next year and a half before mentioning them to a friend of mine over lunch. He had never heard of MUDs so after lunch we went to the library and started searching for a MUD to play. We tried out a few before finding one that we liked. That first MUD I played consistently was the H&S MUD Necromium (March 1999 through December 2002).

In the fall of that year Necromium went down for a few weeks so we started looking at other games. My friend discovered Harshlands as he was familiar with table-top Harn. It was the first RPI I had ever seen or played. Played it for a very short time in November 1999 (my character died in less than an hour) and didn't try it again for a few weeks. Ended up playing nonstop from December 1999 through June 19, 2007.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote