View Single Post
Old 07-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Daily Awesome Fun on Threshold RPG!

First, threshold, going to throw this out there. There's no particular reason a graphical browser game can't be made accessible--go have a look at gmagames and their pacman clone and doom clone for the blind. Limited resources and the like and I don't expect anything, but most people see a "graphical" game and go "There's no way someone blind could play that." To be quite truthful, world of warcraft could be made fully accessible if someone cared enough to pay the money to add the additional tagging information and sounds required. World of warcraft is a bad example of something that could be made accessible--typically, full 3d environments are very, very difficult--but it *could* be, given the resources to do so. I'm not saying go jump on getting blind accessibility in everything (though, I'd love that), but do have a look at some of the various audiogames--it's not as hard as you'd think. I do have a space exploration thing I'm slowly plucking away at, actually--I've gotten as far as a white square on the screen--but I'm approaching it that way: write it for the sighted and add blind accessibility as a "feature". For the most part, blind accessible games aren't playable by the sighted, mostly because the people who wrote them are fully blind and can't get graphics (I'm using pov-ray and my limited vision, and purposefully chose space exploration because I can get away with what are basically placeholder graphics of a sort, or at least graphics that can be easily described by a scripting language: sphere with cyllinder sticking out, sphere with fractiles for clouds...notice a theme, here? sphere with x).

SnowTroll, I actually want to be a professor, kind of. Either a professor or a researcher--I'm one of those big dreamers who never seems to get anywhere on anything, but loves to think about concepts and such, and work out how they might be made to work. We'll see where I end up, but apparently computer science professors start at $60000, or so I've heard.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote