View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 05:36 AM   #19
Delerak

Name: Dan
Delerak is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Delerak Send a message via AIM to Delerak Send a message via MSN to Delerak Send a message via Yahoo to Delerak
Re: Guidelines for an RPI mud.

The problem with lag-free, fast-paced environment is it doesn't allow time for roleplay, emotes, and it isn't realistic. To be able to run from one end of the mud to the other in under 1 minute is not realistic at all, hence the reason for delays when you move. Saying it's because people can't type fast enough is ridiculous, I type 140 WPM and I would never play a delay-free roleplay mud, it's unrealistic and doesn't cater to the RPI player.

Also using levels on an RPI is again unrealistic, the only way you know you're an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10 is self-knowledge. Our knowledge of ourselves is something that makes us unique, it allows us to say that, the question is should every character know how powerful they truly are? Does any boxer or fighter, or police officer ever truly know how good they are? If they practice every single day, yes. They do, but not in terms of code. If I practice with my gun everyday and hit the bullseye 20 times out of 25, I know I'm a pretty good shot, but by no means do I know the potentenial of everyone else compaerd to me, and where I stand on that potential scale of numbers. When you use levels, you're telling the players, this is how powerful you can get, and now you know where you stand: when you don't give them levels to go by, it increases the realism, of now knowing how you stand compared to others, and you yourself not truly knowing unless you practice with the character everyday and know that he's getting stronger. Also skills might have adjectives to describe how good you are in that skill.