DonathinFrye

Name: Donathin Frye
Home MUD: Optional Realities
Home MUD: Atonement RPI
Home MUD: Project Redshift
DonathinFrye is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DonathinFrye
Re: The problem with muds Aka Hello

Wow. I was going to suggest the MUD that I run (Atonement) to you, but it looks like some others beat me to it. I'll try to keep this brief, and I wish you the best of luck in your journey!

The Difference between RPI and "RPE", by Jaunt:
RPIs generally are built from the RPI Engine (a modified version of the DIKU Engine). They are all a little different (for instance, Atonement does have both a flash web-chat client and an in-game newbie-help chat channel), but they all have "permanent death" as a feature and a myriad of roleplaying tools that most other games lack. RPEs are a much broader genre and can be more "hack-and-slash" or "more roleplaying-focused" than others. Some of the more prominent of these games are NewWorlds, Carrion Fields and Threshold RPG.

The Objective Difference Between the Four Active RPIs, by Jaunt:
Harshlands: Most antiquated code, expansive world, small (spread out) playerbase, fantasy-themed.
Shadows of Isildur: Expansive world, somewhat antiquated code, moderately-sized (but spread out) playerbase, Tolkien-themed.
Armageddon: Expansive world, antiquated code, large (but spread out) playerbase, fantasy-themed (Dune/Dark Sun).
Atonement: Condensed world, fresh code/engine, moderately-sized (consolidated) playerbase, sci-fi/mystery/survival-horror theme. Still in ALPHA phase.

Harshlands is still kicking, somehow. Shadows of Isildur is going through its own tribulation right now and has lost a lot of staff, but is still active. Armageddon is even longer-running than SOI/Hlands, and has (by far) the largest playerbase of any RPI. Harshlands code is pretty aged, ARM's code is very solid but has some ancient-feeling features (no color options, spammy room echoes when pcs look at each other, etc). Atonement's code is new and we take a lot of pride in the new RPI Engine, but it isn't without quirks and bugs, as we've only been open for two months.

All four games have their own distinct flavor. If you like complex storytelling, mystery, and survival horror - I would encourage you to give our new game a try. If you prefer fantasy, then ARM and SOI might be your games. If you find RPIs to not be to your liking, then you might find that you prefer one of the RPEs that I mentioned a little higher up.
DonathinFrye is offline   Reply With Quote