View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: New to MUDs and Forum...

Welcome fellow IF'er. A lot of mud's can not have the puzzle's you will find in an IF game, but they are good fun. No mud has ever effected me like the game 'The Baron' which left me horrified but unable to stop playing right through to the end and yet astonished at the awesomeness of the writing. The was one experience that no graphical game / mud has ever repeated. (NOTE link provided to the Baron but be aware the subject matter is truely horrific, ADULTS only) and if you want to try do not read any spoliers as it will kill the dull realisation and sickness that hits you in the stomach as you understand what is happening. This may sound discouraging, but if you want to experience 'Intensity' through a text game, this is the one.

EDIT : Sorry to belabour this, but I think this reviewer summed the game up better than me

The Baron begins as an experiment in futility - a fascinating exploration of someone’s inability to change the inevitable repeating pattern of their life. As you set off on a quest to rescue your kidnapped young daughter from the evil Baron - made all the more sinister by a note left saying he has to be with her as he loves her - you have a righteous task in place. Which makes the implications of your inevitable failure so very interesting. And then it changes.
I was so deeply affected by this game that after finishing it the rest of my day was pretty much a write-off.

END EDIT

Anyone out there who has not played an IF, set aside 20 mins to experience this which will leaave you stunned at the imagination of the author.. this text based game is played in ONE ROOM only but will leave you totally mind-f**ked. I must confess to have not played last years winners, I downloaded 'Rovers Day Out' but forgot to play it.

I look forward to seeing this years entries! Welcome to TMS

Last edited by MudMann : 10-07-2010 at 05:15 AM.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote