View Single Post
Old 03-01-2004, 06:43 AM   #19
Amnon

Amnon is on a distinguished road
As for the chess anology... I guess it depends. Some things the player has to know to form a good strategy, yes. Chess isn't a very complex game, it's all a matter of how you are able to move the pieces (Since all the pieces are equal in strength when they meet eachother), and from then on, it's up to you to figure out how to use them.

In muds, you have formulas for damage, defense and everything... If I knew a Flameshield does exactly 10% of damage to the person who hit me, and that the Master Troll did on average 100 damage per hit, meaning it would hit him 10 damage per turn... Plus I know that it has 500 HP, and I do 40 damage on average per turn, and I could calculate that:

I could heal myself, without using any special attacks, and I'll only have to survive for 10 combat rounds.

Once I come to that conclusion, every time I kill that master troll, it's gonna be the same thing. I'll know exactly how much I need to do, it'll get extremely repetitive, and I'll just get bored of killing him!

Sooner or later, I'll get bored of every mob in the game, even the toughest ones, cause I'll have the most perfect strategy to use against them and I'll only use that.

Doing it against players, however, is something else, cause they're dynamic... well, that is, unless you're fighting a player who uses the same system as you and just uses the same perfect strategy all the time.
Amnon is offline   Reply With Quote