View Single Post
Old 02-26-2004, 02:56 PM   #11
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
I agree with KaVir, coming from the opposite end of the spectrum. The question was posed to RPers (as opposed to non-RPers), and I fall into that category.

I have some experience with both types of games (RP and non-RP, or more specifically, RP-Intensive and RP "allowed") .

In the game that "encourage" RP, numbers were visible, and you could tell just by looking at a person whether or not you could beat them in a PK war. If they were holding a vultite sword, then they were at least level 10. If they cast a certain spell, then they were at least level 30. The game was very plainly level based. If you wanted to find out if the weapon you had was enchanted to +35, there were methods to do this.

By knowing all these things about weapons and combat and being able to see damage numbers and such, it took all the mystery out of the game. You knew you didn't have to fear that really well-played wizard who proclaimed himself the Emporer of the Isle, because you knew you were 20 levels above him and could kick his butt. You knew that no matter how "important" this or that character was in a plotline, your little newbie could take him out because YOU had the ultimate broadsword of deth and destruktion. You didn't have to worry about RPing your character as significant, because you knew that your doomslayer would do all the work for you - because you knew its stats.

You also know that if you create a new character, because you can't stand Lord Fussbunny and want to lop his head off, that you need to place your stats in a certain order, with nothing less than a 90 for this or that attribute, roll up a specific race and "profession," and power-hunt your way up to level 31. Give yourself three weeks and Lord Fussbunny's a goner because you know that his stats suck and he insists on wearing +10 robes instead of +0 brig, which EVERYONE knows has a higher +damage factor even though it isn't the +10.

If you are trying to immerse yourself in serious RP, the numbers (in my opinion) just get in the way. I don't like seeing them in combat with mobs, I don't like seeing them on items, or skill "ranks" or levels, I don't like seeing them much at all, except to measure my own character's overall health. HPs, fatigue, that kind of thing. I don't wanna know about anyone else's numbers either.

In a game where acquiring "phat lewt" is a good thing, or where the whole point of the game is to be the best in combat - then I can see how numbers would be very important. But in a game where the point is to RP, and getting loot and getting into combat is only one small optional part of RPing, I don't think the numbers can help at all.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote