View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #66
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
We're not talking about most combat systems though - we're talking about complex combat systems. And more specifically, in this case, we're talking about complex combat systems which don't have an element of chance, in which case such correlations are particularly likely to be taken into account in order to increase the number of permutations so as to avoid being overly predictable.

Not necessarily. I show you an ASCII pictures of a flower - could you write a script to figure out that it's a flower? I show you a sequence of words (eg "lion, tiger, wolf and panther") - could you write a script to tell me that 'wolf' is the odd one out? There are numerous things that humans can instinctively do which computers have a great deal of trouble with. Technically they could be scripted, but I highly doubt any mud player would be able to (they'd need to create a custom client specially for it as well).

You certainly can reduce it - indeed you even go on to say that you can "design the combat system to not benefit from it particularly", so I'm not sure why you're trying to suggest with the above.

Scripts can require a great deal of creativity and tactical thinking - just not necessarily that of the player using them. I enjoy competitive games (including chess, although I dislike playing the same person repeatedly because of the predictable outcome). But I wouldn't enjoy playing chess if my opponent was using a chess game on his computer to calculate each of the moves - and the same is true for a PK situation in a mud. I might as well just play against the computer.

The Magic the Gathering card game includes a number of elements which I consider a good model to follow, and which I took into account in my own design. Your setup (deck choice) is critical, but copying someone else's deck isn't going to do you much good if you lack the skill to use it properly. Then there's also the element of chance, which you can manipulate in your favour by hedging your bets (eg, don't rely too heavily on any one tactic, have the flexibility to adapt even if you can't get the right cards, etc).
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote