View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 10:33 PM   #79
The_Disciple

The_Disciple is on a distinguished road
This is going half a dozen pages back at this point, but I wanted to respond to it.

The interesting thing to do here as a game designer is to put an opportunity cost on eating a whatnot. To take the simplest example that comes immediately to my mind, put in something like 3E+ D&D's attack of opportunity concept in. You eat a whatnot, I get a free chance to crack you for it as your guard drops.

If it's balanced well, eating the whatnot to cure your poison is sometimes the right answer and sometimes the wrong one. These kinds of situations are harder to script.

Free-flowing chaotic PK is generally harder to script than arena-style duel PK or PvE. A dynamic environment is harder to script than a static one, and so on.

There are lots of things a game designer can do to promote human thought and ingenunity over scripts. There's clearly some advantage to be gained by scripting in almost any game, but by the same token, I think most good games minimalize it, either intentionally or as a simple side-effect of their style of gameplay.
The_Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote