View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #46
ArchPrime

Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
ArchPrime is on a distinguished road
Re: Developing from scratch

I started coding AoA in July of 2008 from scratch. By December of 2008, the game was in "test" -- and in February of 2009, it went live to production. Not only did I write the game single handedly, but the Flash client as well. Oh, and that was "part time" since I had to work a real job 40+ hours a week, spend family time with the wife and kids, and take care of other personal affairs. Let me also note that all the graphics for the Flash client were done solo(by me), too. As was the website and content supporting it. These things were all "done" (to the degree they were releasable) within a 6 month window, and polished for another 2 before opening. So, writing a MUD from scratch in a short time is completely doable. However, it certainly is no small task.

I have to agree with whomever (Kylotan?) posted that language and tool choice makes a world of difference.

I caveat this with saying that what AoA is today is definitely heads and tails over what it was a year ago. Regardless, if I would have cut out the custom client/protocol/gfx/website and left the game wholly telnet, I can say with a high level of confidence that I would have had the game from scratch to a decent release candidate in a couple of months. It really depends on how pedantic you want to get on terming a MUD as "release-able" and I personally feel that MUDs, by their nature, are in "constant development" ....

Last edited by ArchPrime : 08-05-2010 at 10:28 AM.
ArchPrime is offline   Reply With Quote