View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #48
ArchPrime

Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
ArchPrime is on a distinguished road
Re: Developing from scratch

Ah. Release-able to me is fully playable. And fully playable means people can create characters, join guilds/classes, beat up mobs, find and sell loot, work a puzzle or three, explore a world (albeit a "small" world... 1000 < rooms < 3000), interact with the world through a multitude of commands, etc. I think the general perception is that "release-able" means you can log in and "walk" between two rooms.... and that's about it. That is certainly NOT what I am referring to.

Anything pre-built is obviously going to have the upfront time advantage over something you must build yourself. And, building it yourself does not guarantee that you're going to lower your overall maintenance costs (time/money/however you measure "cost"). I have to agree 100%: if a person finds a codebase that meets all their needs, they are going to have a better time at it as they really only need to create content at that point in time.... still no easy task.

One a side note:
I still rail heavily against the concept that its impossible (or almost impossible...or whatever sort of impression folks like Newworlds are trying to imply) to write a "playable" MUD within of couple months, from scratch. "Time" in development is not a good indicator of feature set quantity or feature set quality, either. Stating that you've had an army of developers, content creators and volunteers also does not necessarily provide an inkling of truth to how many hours is required to "release a playable MUD". Whatever the case, it is NO EASY TASK.
ArchPrime is offline   Reply With Quote