View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
I am a role-playing snob.. shoot me

I play World Of Warcraft.. on a roleplaying server.. but lets face it, roleplay in WoW is a joke at best.. no matter what your definition of the term. I doubt 90% of the people on role play servers truely know what role play is in any context.

Even those folks who think they DO know what role play is clearly dont for the most part.

I think this was summed up quite nicely in a fourm thread started on the WoW Role Play forums when someone found out in the public test realm that creation of a camp fire would be reduced to 2 seconds.

Yes... they honestly complained about this little fact... forget the fact you no longer need wood or flint any more. Here goes

Have we become fire mages all of a sudden that we can make almost instant camp fires?

When I'm crafting something high on the skill list it takes about 5 seconds. That's short as it is.
Please don't make it all so trivial. It may seem convenient to have everything on fast cast times, it's not beneficial in an immersive kind of way.

oh my GOD! Here is someone who actually wants to watch a silly animation for ages just so he feels like he is creating a camp fire.. or making a sword (or whatever)

My reply was sufficiently sarcastic.. and distincltly snobbish

.... good grief.... Role play is ROLE PLAY... have you maybe considered

/kneel
/me starts to gather small sticks for a fire
/me assembles the small sticks in a pile
/me strikes his flint against his tinder until sparks fly
/me blows gently on the tiny flame that is starting to grow
click CAMPFIRE
/me adds larger logs to the growing flame

if you dont have the imagination for roleplay or to even make the game immersive, then please dont complain about it.

I am a snob.. not sharing due to my reply, but just to help us all appreciate what we have in MUD's with what else is out there at the moment.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote