Thread: Botting - why?
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #16
Will

Will is on a distinguished road
Re: Botting - why?

That does sound like fun stuff. Few questions, though:

• How much screaming is there over the staff playing favorites?

• What's average character turnover?

• How much does permadeath affect player retention?

• We keep discussing the extremes, but I would guess most players fall somewhere in the middle: work on skills some, role-play some. Yeah?

I think I get the picture. This helps me out some, but I can't see myself playing a game with that much rigidity in character development. I love good RP, but I don't want to have to be that serious about it. To me, that could get just as tedious as "the grind."

We all want something different out of a game. It's a good thing there's a million of them out there, eh?

To get things sort of back on topic I will also say this: I prefer a game that allows players to achieve by themselves but also gives them attractive incentives to work together and provides interesting mechanics to help them do it. I like the idea of fast and furious MOB bashing that doesn't just pose a challenge, but reequires the cooperation of multiple charocters with different abilities to do with a modicum of safety and efficiency. I want to see characters combining their skills to achieve greater things than they can by themselves, so that they have everyday reasons to interact without a "plotline" being necessary. I think if you have those elements, the role-play and the plots will come. Just as importantly, I believe that if gaining skill is a fun process and using it is a productive and social activity, players will be more inclined to take part in the community and less likely to sit around and script.

Again, just my $0.02.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote