View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 08:45 PM   #48
Spazmatic

Spazmatic is on a distinguished road
You don't need more regulations, you just need to play a mud with a half-decent owner who fires a**hats. See, I have plenty of OOC communication with players when I'm a staff member. Doesn't mean I show favoritism... I'll punish or reward them just the same, and I don't even own any of the muds I'm a staff member on. If you're playing on a mud with childish admins and an owner who doesn't have an interest in keeping the playing field even, that's a product of a BAD MUD AND BAD STAFF, not bad policies.

Because honestly, communication with players is key, and restricting it to public channels is silly. Reviewing tons of private communiques is silly. If there's a major problem (as in more than an admin hinting at a question solution or something), an open-minded owner will find out. At that point, it's up to them to decide what to do.

On a good mud, you'll come to love the staff, and they'll come to at least "tolerate" you (staffers are bitter, dontchaknow). I have several strong friendships that developed along the player-staff arc that have lasted long past the mud's survival, that never involved anything in the game except suggestions or idea generation, and that tell me that it's not worth my time developing or staffing a mud that won't even let me talk to the players.

If I saw a mud with that policy, I'd quit. Right. Then. And. There.
Spazmatic is offline   Reply With Quote