Thread: Economic Woes
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
As I said, in RPI MUDs, where role-play is the goal, not unlimited acquisition of wealth and power. Role-playing a role entails role-playing the station of that role, be it poor or rich. So, if your character's not a wealthy merchant but rather a hunter, they shouldn't expect to be wearing silk and living in a huge manor. Likewise, since RP is the goal, they shouldn't be out crafting and hunting 24/7 (game-time or, worse, real-time); exceptions are made to allow for PC availability to play, but expectations are made that PCs not treat RPIs like an arcade game.

Creating a virtual world where role-play within that world seems as real as it does our own is the goal of many MUDs. An economy that fits into that world and runs like it should is an aspect of that goal.

Take care,

Jason

P.S.--Matt, I'm assuming your comment was meant as constructive even though my initial impression, and the impression of at least one other person I asked to read it, was otherwise. The question remains though. What suggestions do you (or anyone) have to creating a viable and realistic economy?
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote