View Single Post
Old 06-03-2002, 05:04 PM   #1
Gad

Gad is on a distinguished road
I wanted to see what different people thought about how much realism is needed in an RP MUD to maintain a good RP environment.

I have found that I enjoy an environment more when certainly realities are ignored. For example, games with mechanics that force me to feed and water my character don’t really appeal to me. I much prefer to ignore those mundane things and just enjoy the RP environment.  Granted, in desert or post-apocalyptic theme MUDs having to find food and water might be part of the challenge, but most of the games I have played the “You are getting hungry.” message had little to do with any IC plot-line or theme. These things serve only as little annoyances and inconveniences IMO, as food is usually ridiculously easy to get and the only challenge is to remember to always have enough. I have met others that think RP is all about realism though. Should RP be about remembering to have your character eat, drink, sleep, and relieve himself/herself or is it better to ignore or assume these things happen for the sake of focussing on plot?
Gad is offline   Reply With Quote