View Single Post
Old 03-14-2008, 07:05 PM   #48
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: Looking for an RPI, where the 'I' stands for "Immersive"

I believe the controversy arises from much more than that. For example, I'm pretty involved in this controversy. I have no desire to use the RPI tag for any of my games, even if those games fit every criteria for an RPI. (Of course, I wouldn't know what they are, but through these discussions, I'm starting to find out.)

I've, personally, found the elitism stemming from the way RPI players have posted on this forums, and even the RPIMUD site has some of it in their attempt to explain how RPI muds distinguish themselves from "other muds". It's pretty mind-boggling to me that you don't see how some of even what you posted comes off as very elitist. Face it, a LOT of RPI players believe that their style of playing is BETTER RP than on games that don't meet their RPI tag requirements and that the games they play support RP BETTER than say... New Worlds. This comes across pretty clearly in many, many posts. It's okay to be elitist about your choice, honestly, because there's a reason you CHOSE to play those specific games. What becomes a problem is when your personal choice/elitism for your game style of choice is actually cited as the industry standard for RPIs.

No, I don't find that ironic because I believe that RPI has been so poorly defined for so long that muds could legitimately believe they are one. What mud that enforces roleplay doesn't believe that their players roleplay intensively? Additionally, there are muds listed on the RPIMUD site that clearly do not fit the even vague standards that once existed for RPI, so it appears that RPIMUD doesn't even know what an RPI mud is. Frankly, without a standard, it IS a club with people saying "Well, no, I don't think that feature should be for an RPI mud. Well, I found this aspect of the game extremely immersion breaking, so really, their code doesn't suport RP. They aren't an RPI."

You can always tell when something is a matter of opinion when it's much easier for the people involved to tell people that they DO NOT belong rather than to tell them HOW to belong.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote