View Single Post
Old 05-24-2006, 10:52 PM   #34
Alexander Tau

Alexander Tau is on a distinguished road
Nice Thread.

I have seen requests for a 'simple comparision of codebases' since I got in involved in Mudding so many years ago. The problem is that unlike most software there is so much that goes into making a codebase workable that any really useful 'list' ends up being rather large.

A useful addition to your format might be something along the lines of: % Complete Mud bult-in.

For Dead Souls it would be 100%, for ColdC and ColdCore at least it would be more like 10%.

This is a huge factor and deserves special attention.

Since I just spent a fair amount of time with ColdC I would like to add some comments about the documentation. I understand what the poster meant about 'spotty' but I had a different reaction. Most everything is documented. just not in english exactly. What you have is a very technical description of the functions and commands and an almost complete lack of examples. (I should mention that I first learned to program in oh 1973 or so, I am no stranger to technical descriptions but jeeze did'nt one of the Authors have a girlfriend of someone who could have written a little english for them?)

After a whole lot of dedicated web searches by two people we were only able to come up with a half-dozen pages with any useful information, and only a couple of those were really helpful. So few people use ColdC there there just is not the sort of support system that is so important when working with a huge piece of software like a codebase.

Dead Souls has my attention now, not for the commercial project I wanted to do, but for a project that will set the stage, and gather the people necessary for the next game.

A.T
(-)
Alexander Tau is offline   Reply With Quote